Community Food Donations
On Aug. 21, 2021, the Regina Farmers' Market launched the Community Food Donations project.
This project aims to connect the community with local food in a safe environment. During the second year of the covid-19 pandemic there has been increasing need to help serve our community. The message we have repeatedly receieved is: people are hungry. The objective of the Community Food Donations project is simple: To help feed the hungry.
How does the Project Work?
Each week, the RFM Staff will collect community donations of monetary or non-perishable food items via in-person market(s) and the RFM Online Store operating hours. At the end of the last market of the week, the RFM Staff will combine all of the donations, purchase fresh produce + market goods, and deliver them in a rotating schedule to the Regina Community Fridges and the Newo Yotina Friendship Centre.
Our call to action is to take responsibility for collection and distribution of donations on behalf of our customers and vendors to the Community Fridge and Friendship Centre to achieve the like-minded goal of connecting the community with local food.
How to Help:
As a Customer:
- Via RFM Online Store: Donate money to purchase fresh veggies and groceries for the RFM Staff to deliver to the Community Fridge and Friendship Centre.
- Via In-person Markets: Donate money, fresh produce, or other groceries to the Info Tent Collection. RFM Staff will purchase market goods with donations and deliver all donations to the Community Fridge after markets.
As a Vendor:
- If you have extra produce or groceries, you are welcome to leave them at the Info Tent or Online Store. Our RFM Staff will deliver the donation on your behalf
- Consider offering wholesale pricing when purchasing donations
As a Business Owner:
- Do you have labeled, wrapped, food that can be donated to those in need? Consider dropping off at the Info Tent or directly to the Community Fridge.
- We believe through community we can work together to redistribute resources equitably to all in our community.
What is the Community Fridge?
The Community Fridge is as it sounds: a fridge available in the local community, that is stocked and cared for by the community. If someone in the community is hungry, they can take from the fridge. If someone in the community has extra to spare, they give to the fridge. In Regina there are three Community Fridges operating and the RFM will service these fridges with received donations on a rotating schedule:
Cathedral Community Fridge - 2104 Garnet Street | Link to Cathedral Social Media
North Central Community Fridge - 3037 Dewdney Avenue | Link to North Central Social Media
Heritage Location Community Fridge - 1510 12th Avenue (beside Carmichael Outreach) | Link to Heritage Location Social Media
What is the Newo Yotina Friendship Centre?
The Friendship Centre is located at 1635 11th Ave and aims to service both aboriginal and non-aboriginal people within the Regina community in areas of education, workforce preparation, life skills, and wellness. One of their services also includes providing daily meals and coffee for those in the downtown community. Any donations of coffee beans, ground coffee, or food donations are greatly appreeciated and will be included in our rotating schedule of RFM donations.
**Wondering what is acceptable to Donate? Visit the Community Fridge's Donation Guide here!