Market under the Stars Celebrity Pie Eating Contest Rules!
Look at that awesome pie goodness! The Celebrity Pie Eating Contest began as part of the Saskatoon Pie Festival in 2012. The winner was Vance Lester of Living Sky Winery, a vendor at the Market. The 2013 winner was Leasa Gibbons, Regina Downtown BID Marketing and Communications Manager. Leasa has been taking her trophy all over town and tweeting photos of it, heralding her big win!
I have said before that you couldn’t pay me enough money to be part of an eating contest, but apparently it is a cool thing. We have people famous in Regina Media circles, politicos, Regina Downtown reps, Foodie Reporters, a famous winemaker, and a bearded devil! Something about an eating contest brings out the vicious competitive spirit or maybe just their empty stomachs ready for free food? What follows are THE RULES. There have been complaints amongst some competitors about Rule 4, I say I will just be more vigilant! It is all in good fun.
Celebrity Pie Eating Contestant Rules
- Contestants will eat pie from The Cookie Lady. The pies will be all the same size and approximately the same weight. You must arrange what flavour of pie you want ahead of time by tweeting @CookieLadyYQR on twitter. You will pick up your pie at her booth and meet at the Plaza Stage by 6:15pm.
- Your pie will be subject to inspection to ensure all the filling is still in it!
- Contestants will choose a number and an eating utensil will be selected from a box by the Assistant Manager, Dee Kitsch. You must eat with this utensil.
- Contestants may cheat! But if the Manager catches them cheating they will be disqualified from the contest!
- Whoever eats one whole entire pie first is the winner! Note: the pie must be EATEN!
- A sixth rule was added for the benefit of some fashionable contestants. You may wear a kilt or hat for the Celebrity Perogy Eating Contest.